Dear Band Families,
Happy New Year!!! It is time for the band to hit the ground running!
On Monday, January 15, the members of the Millennium MS Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Bands will be marching in Sanford’s Martin Luther King Day Parade. The details of the event are listed below:
- This is a required event for members of the Symphonic Band & Wind Ensemble.
- Students can be dropped off in the parking lot of Crooms Academy.
- Students will meet and assemble at 9AM on the corner of Historic Goldsboro Blvd. (formerly 13th St.) & Persimmon Ave.(next to Crooms Academy).
- Students will wear the Band shirt, black pants, black shoes, black socks uniform.
- Students will march as part of a combined band with Seminole HS & Sanford MS.
- The parade begins at 10AM and will move down Historic Goldsboro Blvd. from Crooms (moving east) towards 17 92.
- The parade will end at Historic Goldsboro Blvd. and Holly Avenue. Students can be picked up in the parking lot of The Barn between 10:30 and 11:00AM.
- The band room will not be open Monday morning for students to pick up forgotten instruments!
- Tuba & Percussion students are responsible for getting their instruments to the parade route!!! (this means they have to go home this week!!!)
- We need about 10 chaperones for this event. Parents can sign-up to be a chaperone at the following link: http://signup.com/go/QFxHrBC
Come out and hear the results of these hard working and talented students!!
- Thursday, March 30, 7PM- Pre-MPA Performance @ Millennium MS
- Thursday & Friday, April 6 & 7, MPA Performance @ University HS (Orange City)
- Wind Ensemble: Thursday, April 6, 5:15PM performance time
- Symphonic Band: Friday, April 7, 11:00AM performance time
The band’s Spring Fundraiser kicked off on Friday, February 3rd!
This year’s spring sale will be selling chocolate bars from Hebert Fundraising. To avoid having students carry around boxes of candy, students will be taking orders for the $2 bars. The candy bars come in 4 flavors: milk chocolate, caramel, crisp, and almond. The candy bars are certified peanut free and gluten free.
Orders and money will be due on Friday, February 17. Remember, Millennium does not accept checks, only cash or money order. If students are very successful and collect a large sum of money, we strongly recommend that you send in a money order rather than having students transport the cash.
Please help support the band and our efforts to provide a great musical experience for our students!
Students kicked off the band’s Fall Fundraiser this past Monday in class! Students will be selling items from the Savory Sensations and Tumbler brochures. The Savory Sensations brochure feature food items like cookie dough and other baked goods, while the Tumbler brochure offers tumblers of 2 sizes featuring popular college logos as well as the Millennium MS logo.
The sale runs from August 15 to August 31!
Money raised through this sale can be applied to students’ Band Assessment for the school year ($100) or towards the rental of a school instrument ($100).
We keep approximately 40% of the money turned in as profit. So, you can use this as a way for students to target how much to sell in order to cover the Band Assessment and/or school Instrument Rental fees.
- $125 of product sales = $50 profit
- $250 of product sales = $100 profit
- $500 of product sales = $200 profit
Students can also qualify for prizes by selling 8 items. For every 8 items sold, students earn a chance to pull a wallet from the Cash Bag. These wallets include cash prizes and a chance to win an Apple iPad Mini!
Families that wish to not participate in the sale of these products may send in cash or money order to be applied towards their student’s account. Please send in money in an envelope marked with:
- Student’s First & Last Name
- What the money is for (Band Assessment, Instrument Rental)
- the Amount enclosed
Ask your student to see this year’s brochures and begin planning out how you can best support the band this year!
- Special note: The school’s money collection policy prohibits the collection of money via checks. All money must be either cash or money order (money orders made out to Millennium Middle School.)
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! We hope that you have had a restful summer and are ready to “get the show on the road”!
To get the year off to a quick and efficient start, complete the following tasks to ensure you don’t miss any important information!!!
- Fill out the Millennium MS Band Student Info Form (click on the link).
- Sign up for Remind notifications for your class. Create a text to 81010 and type into the message the appropriate code for your class:
- Band 1 code- @mmsbb
- Band 2 code- @mmssb
- Band 3 code- @mmswind
- Band 4 code- @mmsjazzb
- Ensure that there area parent email addresses in Skyward.
- Set up notifications in eCampus to receive student grade info. (available on Tuesday, August 9, 2016)
- Band 1 students: Sign up for a time for instrument fittings:
- at this link
- Instrument fittings will occur on the following dates:
- Thursday, August 11, 2016; 5PM-7:30PM
- Friday, August 12, 2016; 4:30PM-7:30PM
- Saturday, August 13, 2016; Noon-3:30PM
- Monday, August 15, 2016; 4:30PM-5:30PM
If you need any help with these tasks, let Mr. Langston know at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students completing these tasks will receive a treat in class this week!!!
As the students are introduced to the various instruments over the course of this week, here is the link to the Youtube playlist that I have been using in class to highlight the different instruments. Enjoy!
(You can forward through the list of videos by clicking the -> (right arrow) button in the player)